Best Actor/Actress in a Leading Role Eligibility
To be eligible to be nominated for Best Actor/Actress in Leading Role, performers must be nominated by their school’s CAPA Marquee Awards coordinator and must have played a National High School Musical Theatre Awards® (NHSMTA®)-recognized leading role in their school’s production. For this reason, only students who play a NHSMTA®-recognized leading role in their high school’s production will be eligible for the Best Actor/Actress in a Leading Role categories.
Due to the nature of the award, the Best Actor/Actress in a Leading Role nominees and winners will be determined by both a production and audition score. Eligible student performers will receive a combined adjudication score for their school’s production. The adjudicated score will count as 65% of the total score.
Additionally, these student performers will be required to complete a panel audition. The panel audition will consist of a song audition (25%) and a dance audition (10%). The combined panel audition score will count as 35% of the total score.
The combined production and audition score will determine the nominees and the winners in this category.
Required Forms for Panel Audition
Each student eligible for Best Actor/Actress in a Leading Role must complete and submit each of the following digital forms by NOON on Friday, March 11.
- 21-22 Intent to Participate Form
- 21-22 Audition Form
- 21-22 Media Release & Virtual Learning Form
- 21-22 Emergency Medical & Release Form
Note: If you already submitted the 21-22 Media Release & Virtual Learning Form and/or the 21-22 Emergency Medical & Release Form for a previous workshop or activity this school year, you are not required to submit it again.
2022 Jimmy Awards® Eligibility
In 2022, two CAPA Marquee Awards student nominees will join top musical theatre students from across the country in New York City from June 20-28 for a CAPA-sponsored theatre intensive where they will experience private coaching, master classes, and rehearsals in preparation for a special showcase performance and the chance to compete for scholarships and the national title of Best Actor and Best Actress.
Student Participation Handbook
Information about the adjudication process, panel audition, nomination process, Marquee Awards Showcase participation, and the National High School Musical Theatre Awards® can all be found in the Student Handbook for Best Actor/Actress in a Leading Role-Eligible Performers.