The CAPA Marquee Awards
The Columbus Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA) is committed to celebrating, supporting, and advocating for high school musical theatre education throughout central Ohio.
Through CAPA’s standing as a member of the Broadway League, Columbus has become an official Regional Awards Program of The Jimmy Awards®/National High School Musical Theatre Awards.™ CAPA will sponsor the prestigious national program for high school musical theatre students through its own newly created, local awards program—the CAPA Marquee Awards.
To be considered for participation in the CAPA Marquee Awards, schools must submit an online application, and present a full-length musical from a list of Jimmy® Awards-approved productions between January 10 and April 28, 2019. Schools accepted into the program will be eligible for awards in the following categories:
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Musical Production
Outstanding Ensemble Performance
Outstanding Student Orchestra Performance
Backstage Excellence Award
Outstanding Technical Achievement Award
Three adjudicators from the CAPA Marquee Awards program will attend a performance of each participating school’s qualifying musical theatre production to evaluate nominated students/productions and provide valuable feedback to the production’s cast, crew, and creative team. On May 7, 2019, the (up to) five nominees selected for each category will be announced.
The CAPA Marquee Awards will culminate with a red-carpet ceremony and student showcase event at the Lincoln Theatre on June 3, 2019, at which the winners of each category will be announced. Students selected as Best Actor in a Leading Role and Best Actress in a Leading Role will be designated as official Jimmy® Award nominees and receive a CAPA-sponsored trip to attend “Jimmys Week” in New York City, a nine-day professional training intensive with theatre professionals and industry experts, and compete on the national level for the 2019 Jimmy® Awards for Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress.
Goals of the CAPA Marquee Awards
1. To recognize, honor, and encourage excellence in high school musical theatre through a constructive review process of nominated productions by qualified adjudicators;
2. To deliver educational workshops and advancement in dance, voice, acting, and stagecraft for high school students locally, regionally, and nationally;
3. To offer professional development and networking opportunities for students, directors, and school programs;
4. To give students an opportunity to perform on a CAPA stage;
5. To create positive attention for theatre arts and music departments at local schools and school districts; and
6. To showcase the importance of theatre arts education in our schools.